Confused by conflicting health advice? Not sure if you should cook your kale in coconut oil or sweep it all in the rubbish bin (coconut oil is nice and slippery like that).
The shocking truth is it’s actually not that hard or confusing. There is more agreement and good science than confusion and shades of grey. I realise this is not what the media or celebrities selling you snake oil to put up your hoo-ha on the full moon would have you believe.
So here are some science-based tips that could just change your life.
- Eat whole foods. Go for variety, lots of colours and types. Sure enjoy ‘superfoods’ if they turn you on, but don’t obsess over them or eliminate perfectly good alternatives (can’t afford chia seeds? Eat a banana and a strawberry and smile at yourself and your savings)
- Eat loads of fruit and veg
- Eat red meat in moderation (if at all)
- Minimize mercury in fish
- Enjoy dairy if you have no issues with it (full fat is looking fine, but low fat isn’t likely to kill you)
- Prioritize good quality vegetable oils. While the saturated fat debate goes, I’d focus on vegetable oil
- Hedge your bets with a good quality (age and gender appropriate) multivitamin (this debate is a rager, so maybe skip it and save more).
- Avoid the foods you have issues with BUT be careful avoiding stuff for sh*ts, giggles or worse food fashion
- Chew well and enjoy
- Enjoy Tea and Coffee if you like it
- Minimize crap
- Have less than 10 teaspoons of sugar a day (it’s less than you think) – but no need to get all obsessed and high and mighty about your sugar-free-life. Unless it makes you happy – in which case, fill your sugar-free boots.
- Enjoy alcohol in moderation (if your personal and genetic risk profile allows it). Don’t kid yourself about what moderation actually means. Check the guidelines.
- Get fit, Stay fit
- Manage your posture
- Avoid prolonged sitting or standing
- Be connected to others
- Meditate or pray or whatever floats your boat
- Do stuff you love
- Do good stuff for others
- Get some nature time
- Understand your personal values and live a life aligned with them
Protect, Check & Avoid
- Protect yourself from the sun (slip, slop, slap)
- Practice good dental hygiene
- Get your regular (gender and age appropriate) screening tests
- Get the vaccinations you need
- Don’t touch smokes or illegal drugs
- Try and avoid smog
- Avoid unnecessary chemical exposure at home and work
- Manage your stress
- Use your brain or lose your brain
- Don’t believe what you read on the internet and never read the comments!
Live a little
- Just sometimes – eat doughnuts, drink champagne and stay up late, just to know you have free will and your life is your own!
Now go (full of knowledge) in the direction of your health goals
Yours as Ever